Monday, April 17, 2006

Not Once But Twice

I was struck by a reading of the Bible last week. I was reading some chapters in Mark. My reading took me through chapters 9 and 10. In each of those chapters Jesus predicts or better prophesies of His death. I was amazed that after each prediction of His death the disciples or at least part of them either ask Jesus if they may be seated at his right and left (chapter 10) or are quarreling amongst themselves as to who is the greatest (chapter 9).

I can easily understand this happening once. But twice? I don't know how much time elapses between chapter 9 and 10. I realize that the disciples also had a misconception that Jesus was going to bring His kingdom to fruition at that moment. They therefore in pride and ambition were desiring to establish themselves with prominent rolls in the kingdom.

Striving to be someone of importance is a characteristic of myself. I have always strove to be at the top. This happened early in life and teachers helped to instill this in me. You probably all can remember having math races in school. Where the teacher would divide the class into two groups. He/she would try to divide the class as evenly as possible. The team I was on would almost always win. So, the teacher one day decided to divide the class by pitting me against the entire class. Well this did nothing but bolster my pride as I personally got victory over the entire class. As you can see I still take pride in this accomplishment some 35-40 years later. My point being that I can relate to the disciples continuing to ask for and desire prominent positions in the kingdom.

Jesus relates to the disciples that being great is being a servant.
. . . Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10:43-45)

No comments: