Monday, April 03, 2006

God's Purpose for Spiritual Gifts

The cell group I am in is just starting a study on spiritual gifts. We are looking at a study by Henry and Mel Blackaby called "What's so spiritual about your gifts?" Last night I read the first chapter in the book. I was impressed by the comments on 1 Corinthians 12:7.

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

The Blackaby's had these comments on each of the phrase in this verse. "The manifestation of the Spirit" means the Spirit will reveal Himself and His activity in you. You have received the gift of the Holy Spirit and He will manifest Himself in your life.

I absolutely love this next statement they made. We hear people complaining about the talents and skills they lack, then concluding, "I don't have anything to offer God." That's likely true, but what does that have to do with the Holy Spirit working in your life?

Then the last phrase "for the common good." There's a corporate dimension to everything God does in your life. Every gift He has given is to be shared within the life of His people. If we aren't actively building up the body, we aren't functioning as God desires.

They go on to say: The Holy Spirit is God's gift to you. The same Holy Spirit who manifested Himself in the life of Jesus and in the early believers has been sent to work through you. If you open your life to Him, He will manifest His power in your life.

Ok, so what have I learned. Rather than seeking a gift of the Spirit, what I need to seek is the Holy Spirit himself. The gift is the Holy Spirit. He will then be manifested in me through for example teaching, wisdom, administration, mercy, etc., which I must use to edify the body.

No comments: