Friday, May 05, 2006

Who do you identify with?

This is a typical question in Bible studies when looking at events discribed in the Bible. I am reading C. J. Mahaney's book "Living The Cross Centered Life". Mahaney posses the question "Who do you identify with?" in context of Jesus dying on the cross. Mahaney suggest that you may identify with Peter weeping over his denial of the Lord; Simon who was forced to carry Jesus' cross; Women standing at a distance watching; Mary His mother; John who Jesus spoke to from the cross; the thief on the cross or the centurion who after watching the events said, "truly this man was the Son of God!" (Mark 15:39).

Mahaney says: "I identify most with the angry mob screaming, "Crucify Him!"

He goes on to say: "That's who we should all identify with. Because apart from God's grace, this is where we would all be standing, and we're only flattering ourselves to think otherwise. Unless you see yourself standing there with the shrieking crowd, full of hostility and hatred for the holy and innocent Lamb of God, you don't really understand the nature and depth of your sin or the necessity of the cross."

That is so prefound! I can reasonate with this and slowly I am beginning to have this view. As I make Jesus Christ supreme in my life.

1 comment:

Reegz said...

Bill,

"Profoundly staggering," as John MacArthur would say! I resonate as well and pray that Christ would become supreme in my life as well!