Thursday, March 30, 2006

". . . yet not my will, but yours be done."

This past weekend Dr. Bruce Ware spoke on the Trinity at my home church. To hear the messages click here and look for MP3 downloads under Intersect 2006. In Dr. Ware's message he referenced Jesus praying on the Mount of Olives. I am not sure if this is the exact reference that Dr. Ware used:
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42)

Then my son this week is memorizing John 6:38.
For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. (John 6:38)

This has caused me to think about these verses. Are there two wills? Do God and Jesus have different wills? How can that be if they are one (trinity)? Did Jesus have the same type of will that I have that is a will centered on himself?

John Gill's Exposition of the Bible was helpful to me. You can see it here. Jesus did not have a will that was separate from the Fathers or contray to it. The Father and Son are one in nature, therefore their wills are the same. Yet, Jesus' will as a man was distinct from the Fathers, but not resigned from it. Jesus came to earth not to do any will different than that of his Father. Although as man, he had a separate will this will was not different or contrary. Rather there was sameness in their wills.

No comments: