Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Faith of Daniel

I ask myself do I have the faith that Daniel had? The answer today is I don't think so. In the midst of reading of Jeremiah's problems with Jehoiakim, several captives are singled our for duty in the king's service. What an honor to be chosen for service under "normal" circumstances and therefore how much more when you are a captive. At least that is how I would think. Well Daniel is chosen to serve King Nebuchadnezzar. However, Daniel refuses all the benefits that come along with being chosen i.e. the royal food and wine. God honors him for his resolve. Daniel 1:8-16

I can't think of a time when I have ever taken a stance like Daniel did. I am more interested in the reward at hand. The instant gratification or pat on the back. Yes, to live in the moment of my glory. Why think of anyone else (which includes God)?

This seems to follow a benediction from worship service this weekend that seemed heavy at the time (for that matter it still is) . The benediction was something similar to this - live today as you would in the last day. The last day being the return of Jesus.

Oh, to have the faith of Daniel who did live that day in total glory to God.

No comments: